By Dominika Kusnierska
Christmas is that time of year when we indulge so much we can hardly step away from the table.
By the time we get to eating a dessert, we’ve already devoured tonnes of Pinterest-worthy appetisers and filling mains. Or maybe it is just me? Nonetheless, it is a great idea to incorporate some healthier alternatives for those fatty snacks loaded with refined sugars. Grab these feel-good biscuits which not only look amazing but also taste incredible.
- 1 cup plain or wholemeal plain flour + 1-2 tablespoons more, as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C/gas mark 4.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- If the dough is wet and sticky, add more flour, a tablespoon at a time until the dough is soft and not sticky. If the dough is too dry, add a little more water.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a couple of millimetres thickness and cut with cookie cutters (The thinner, the crispier the biscuits). Continue rerolling the dough and cutting out shapes until you have used it up.
- Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 10-15 minutes. They will be soft but set – they’ll crisp up while cooling.
- Optional: While cookies are baking, prepare a simple icing made out of icing sugar and water. This should have quite a thick consistency so don’t overdo the water!
- Allow cookies to cool completely before decorating.
- Serve and enjoy!